My Photo
Name:

My Blogs reflect something of me

Friday, May 26, 2006

Posture in Guitar Playing

Last few days I've not practised so much on the guitar. Though I did manage to snatch a few moments from other more "pressing matters" (naaah!!) and practise the guitar tab.

Anyway I found out 2 things a bit luckily
1) I was playing guitar in the casual non-classical way and found that I could play the slow version of the tabs easily enough. When I tried to speed it up, my fingers were sticking to the fretboard. I recalled the principles of perfect practise for guitar and changed over to the classical posture. Immediately I felt the weight of the guitar coming off the left hand and onto the left thigh. "I flitted merrily over the notes and danced away like the children of the night!!" :-)

2) Getting a bit of a stiff back from sitting at my workstation for 8 hrs constantly I decided to do something about it. I started back strengthening exercises (Bhujangasana and Shalabhasana, followed by spine stretching Halasana (great - esp. between the shoulder blades) ).
After 1 week I found that I could sit up straight without any effort.
Normally I slouch a lot and though the above Guitar Principles say to 'Sit-Up-Straight', I normally didn't follow it. (It wasn't easy to do so many things .... )

It's helped me a good bit as I've got a sedantary life-style, computers, bike driving over slightly bumpy roads etc.
I hope that it'll help me improve my guitar playing as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home